Dragon, Quasi-Elemental Steam
Dragon, Quasi-Elemental Steam

Dragon, Quasi-Elemental Steam

Quasi-Elemental Steam Dragon

CLIMATE/TERRAIN:Quasi-Elemental Plane of Steam, hot springs, fog banks, jungles
INTELLIGENCE:Genius )17-18)
TREASURE:See below
ALIGNMENT:Any (primarily Neutral)
MOVEMENT:12, Fly 35 (B), Jump 3
HIT DICE:17 (base)
THAC0:4 (at 18 HD)
NO. OF ATTACKS:3+ special
DAMAGE/ATTACK:2d6 / 2d6 / 5d10
SIZE:G (55′ base)
MORALE:Fanatic (17-18)
XP VALUE:See below
AD&D 2e statistics

Steam dragons are wispy creatures. The are quite aloof and distant, never remaining in contact with other beings for long. They prefer solitude to the companionship most other creatures crave. They see the company of other beings as an excuse for idle chat and flights of fancy, things which they do not normally endorse.

When in solid form, steam dragons appear to be misty cloud dragons. A slight vapour always seems to be rising from the surface of their bodies, although, in truth, it is just part of their bodies similar to hair on a human. They tend to be grey in colour, although the grey runs the gamut of light to dark.

Steam dragons speak their own language and that common to all elemental dragons. At birth, they have a 16% chance to speak the language of any sentient creature. This chance increases by 5% per age category.

COMBAT: Steam dragons prefer to avoid combat, if possible, as it is generally a waste of time. When engaged in combat, however, they seek to end it as quickly as possible, often attempting to take out what seems to be a leader then engaging the remaining attackers. They very rarely chase those who flee from them.

BREATH WEAPON/SPECIAL ABILITIES: A steam dragon’s breath weapon is a cloud of scalding steam, 90′ long, 30′ wide, and 30′ high. Creatures caught in the cloud can roll saving throws vs. breath weapon for half damage. In still air, the cloud remains for 1d4+4 rounds. On the second round and third rounds, it inflicts half normal damage, on the fourth and subsequent rounds, it condenses into a clammy fog that blinds creatures for 1d4 rounds and inflicts 3d4 points of drowning damage per round for as long as the creature remains in the cloud (a successful save vs. breath weapon negates both effects).

  • Steam dragons cast spells and use their magical abilities at 14th-level plus their combat modifiers.
  • Steam dragons are born immune to energy draining, water attacks, and heat (but not fire).
  • Steam dragons are born with the ability to assume (or leave) a cohesive mist-like form at will, once per round. In this form, they are 75% unlikely to be distinguished from normal mist. Their armour class improves by -3 while in mist form and their magic resistance increases by 15%. They can employ spells and innate abilities while in mist form, but they cannot attack physically or use their breath weapons. They can fly at a rate of 9 (MC: A) while in mist form.
  • As they age, they gain the following additional powers. Very Young: Fog cloud three times per day. Young: Wall of fog three times per day. Juvenile: Stinking cloud three times per day. Adult: Solid fog three times per day. Mature Adult: Cloudkill three times per day. Old: Death fog twice per day. Very Old: Neutralise gas three times per day. Ancient: Airy water three times per day.

HABITAT/SOCIETY: When encountered outside their home plane, steam dragons often times lair with or close to mist dragons. The two species seem to have a friendly relationship. They also like to lair in hot, steamy jungles, near natural hot springs, and in areas of dense fog.

The majority (80%) of steam dragons are neutral. Otherwise, there is an equal (10%) chance of them being good or evil. A surprising majority (90%) of steam dragons are lawful. The rest (10%) are neutral. No chaotic steam dragon has ever been encountered.

ECOLOGY: Steam dragons sustain themselves on vapours and water particles in the air. They shy away from deserts and arctic climates because of the lack of moisture in the air. They tend to be non-damaging to the environments they prefer to live in.

Age CategoryBody (‘)Tail (‘)ACBreath WeaponWizard/Priest SpellsMRTreasureXP Value
337-4934-44-47d6+4145%Y, Z19,000
449-6144-56-59d6+5250%X, Y, Z20,000
556-7356-66-611d6+52 255%X, Y, Z22,000
673-8666-76-713d6+62 2 260%X, Y, Zx223,000
786-9976-90-815d6+72 2 2 2 / 165%X, Y, Zx224,000
899-11290-101-917d6+82 2 2 2 2 / 270%X, Y, Zx225,000
9112-126101-114-1019d6+92 2 2 2 2 2 / 2 275%X, Y, Zx327,000
10126-140114-126-1121d6+102 2 2 2 2 2 2 / 2 2 280%X, Y, Zx328,000
11140-154126-139-1223d6+112 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 / 2 2 2 285%X, Y, Zx329,000
12154-168139-152-1325d6+122 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 / 2 2 2 290%X, Y, Zx431,000
Steam dragon statistics by age category

Source: John Kastronis, Jon Winter-Holt

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *